Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions


What is a Certificate of Status?

Certificates of Good Standing, also known as Certificates of Status, Certificate of Existence or Certificate of Facts, are often needed in the course of day-to-day business. This document states that a Corporation or LLC is authorized to do business in the state and that its state requirements have been satisfied. It shows the official evidence of an entity’s existence and provides a statement of an entity’s status, legal name, and legal formation. It bears the official seal of the Florida Secretary of State.

Why do I need a Certificate of Status?

  1. Apply for business loans / lines of credit
  2. Renew a business license
  3. Open a business bank account
  4. Tax or other business purposes

What is a Labor Law Poster?

Labor law posters are the mandated state and federal employment law notices that employers with at least one employee or more are required to conspicuously post in an area frequented by all employees. Federal contractors and subcontractors are required to inform employees of their rights under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the primary law governing relations between unions and employers in the private sector. See 29 CFR Part 471. The notice, prescribed in the Department of Labor’s regulations, informs employees of Federal contractors and subcontractors of their rights under the NLRA to organize and bargain collectively with their employers and to engage in other protected concerted activity. Additionally, the notice provides examples of illegal conduct by employers and unions, and it provides contact information to the National Labor Relations Board (, the agency responsible for enforcing the NLRA.

Who is required to post a Labor Law Poster?

Federal contractors and subcontractors with at least 1 employee must post the employee notice conspicuously in and around their plants and offices so that it is prominent and readily seen by employees. In particular, contractors and subcontractors must post the notice where other notices to employees about their jobs are posted. For more information, you may visit the Department of Labor at

Why do I need to post a Labor Law Poster?

Businesses with at least 1 employee are required by Federal Law 29 USC Sec. 666 (I) & 29 Sec. 2005 to post an up-to-date compliant Labor Law Poster in the workplace. Penalties and risks of non-compliance with posting regulations can lead to potential fines in excess of $7,000 per instance for failure to post federally required information, and could possibly even lead to lawsuits.

What is an EIN (Federal Tax ID Number)?

An EIN (Employer Identification Number) is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS used to identify businesses and certain other entities. An EIN number is also called a Federal Tax ID. It is commonly used for taxing and banking purposes and to register your business with the federal government. All businesses are required to have an EIN.

Why Do I Need an EIN?

  1. To hire employees
  2. Open a business bank account
  3. File taxes
  4. Apply for business loans / lines of credit

About your Annual Report: ​​

  • An annual report must be filed each year for your business entity to maintain an “active status” with the Department of State.
  • It updates or confirms your records with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations, displaying your business’s most current data on file.
  • It is required, whether or not you need to make changes.
  • It is not a financial statement.
  • If a business files late, a $400 late fee will be imposed on you by The State.
  • If you do not file an annual report by the third Friday of September, your business entity will be administratively dissolved or revoked at the close of business on the fourth Friday of September. (Chapters 607, 617 and 620, F.S.) Businesses may acquire additional reinstatement fees.
  • Every order will include your updated Certificate of Status.​

What is a fictitious name?

A fictitious name (also known as a“doing business as” or “dba”) is: Different from your personal name, if doing business as a sole proprietor. Different from your entity’s legal name, if you have incorporated or otherwise formed a separate legal business entity.

Why do I need to do a legal notice advertisement?

Required by Florida Law: Fictitious Name Act, F.S. 865.09, all fictitious name DBAs must publish a Legal Notice Advertisement in a newspaper in the county where the principal place of business is located. This is NOT the same as registering your fictitious name with Sunbiz. If the business fails to comply, the business, its members, and those interested in doing such business, may not maintain any action, suit, or proceeding in the state of Florida until this statue is complied with. Any person who fails to comply with the statute commits a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, and may acquire additional fines.

​Why do you need my information?

The information provided is used to complete processing with the state and IRS. Without it, we can not proceed with your requests. We do not use your information for any other purposes outside of our business purposes.

When should I expect my documents?

All orders are typically processed the following business day. A physical copy of your Certificate of Status and EIN Tax ID may take up to 14 business days to arrive. Electronic deliveries may take up to 3 business days and will be sent to the email provided by the customer. If you ordered your EIN Tax ID together with your Certificate of Status, they will arrive together in the same package. Labor Law Posters ordered via USPS may be shipped and arrive separately from other documents order due to availability at the time of purchase. Poster orders are usually processed the next business day and may take up to 21 business days to arrive. It is possible that documents may arrive a lot sooner.

What if I need to make changes to my information?

When it comes to updating your information with the Internal Revenue Services, we currently do not provide this assistance. For more information on how to do this, we suggest you directly visit When it comes to your business information on, we can only update or change your information during the time of Annual Filing. The only other changes we can assist with are with ones in reference to our own database.

Are you affiliated with a government agency?

Florida Certified Documents Services is not a Government Agency and is not affiliated with the Internal Revenue Service or any other federal or state organizations. Florida Certified Documents acts as a Third Party application assisting company. We do not provide legal, financial or other professional advice. We are not a law or an accountancy firm nor are we affiliated with either.

What if I want a refund?

Since transactions on this site are based on services provided which cost Florida Certified Document Services time and money to perform, we unfortunately cannot offer refunds on any purchase that has already been processed. If you make a purchase, send us a message right away requesting to cancel, and we have not had the chance to process the order, then we may, on a case to case bases, decide to issue you a refund minus any merchant processing fees which may range up to $15.

What if my document(s) arrive damaged?

Any item which arrives damaged or defective will gladly be exchanged within 7 days of purchase. We will ship a replacement free of charge, but only once. Any additional shipments may have processing and shipping costs attached.

What if I never received my order?

If you ordered your items electronically, please double check your spam folder. If you still have any issues locating your order, contact us right away! We will assist in locating your documents and resending them to. If you ordered them USPS, we have complete access to all our customer’s tracking information, so we will be able to look up the status. If your documents are still unable to be located, we will gladly resend you your order free of charge, but only once. Any additional requests may require additional postage charges on your behalf.